Monday 28 April 2014

The high street foundation face-off #2




My "foundation face-offs" are without a doubt my favourite posts to write. Having bad skin means that I adore foundation and if I could only purchase one make up item for the rest of my life, it would be foundation. I'm constantly on the lookout for the "perfect one" which means that often, I find myself perusing make up counters trying to source out a new love. If you have any recommendations, please do let me know and link me to your reviews. You can view the first high street foundation face-off here which includes Bourjois Healthy mix, Rimmel Wake Me Up, Maybelline Fit Me, MaxFactor XPerience and more. And you view the first high end foundation face-off here which includes Estee Lauder Double Wear, Laura Mercier Silk Creme, Vichy Dermablend, MAC Studio Sculpt and more.

SEVENTEEN On the Spot Foundation - £6.99
Coverage: Medium to full coverage that can be built up. This foundation works best when it's applied in light layers.
Longevity: It's not bad. Standard wear.
Finish: It's quite masking and doesn't let your natural skin shine through.
Formula: Lightweight and easy to blend.
Overall: I like this foundation. I don't use it much but it's one that I can always trust to "work" on my skin.
Would I recommend it? Yes.

Coverage: Light to medium. It can be built up but it only really covers redness.
Longevity: I've not had any issues with it breaking down throughout the day when a primer and powder has been used.
Finish: A lovely natural finish that's perfect for summer.
Formula: Really easy to blend and almost melts into the skin.
Overall: When I'm having a good skin day, this foundation is lovely. It looks natural on the skin and lasts well.
Would I recommend it? Yes.

Coverage: Full coverage but not in a nice way. It cakes.
Longevity: As I mentioned above, this foundation cakes and breaks down throughout the day. 
Finish: Full on matte. Almost too matte as it clings to any dry patches.
Formula: It's a shame that I don't like this formula because the coverage is wonderful and it feels lightweight on the skin. But it's drying.
Overall: Aside from the coverage, I can't find one good trait in this foundation. It might be wonderful for those with incredibly oily skin though.
Would I recommend it? Not for combination/dry skin.

Coverage: Medium. It doesn't feel extremely lightweight on the skin but it's barely noticeable.
Longevity: With a primer and powder it lasts throughout the day nicely.
Finish: The finish is beautiful. It doesn't cake at all and looks natural.
Formula: I find this a complete doddle to blend. It's seamless.
Overall: I sort of forgot about this foundation when I discovered MaxFactor's FaceFinity but it truly is wonderful and definitely worth checking out.
Would I recommend it? Definitely. When I was using this foundation, I didn't have one breakout. Might not be a coincidence! 

Coverage: Full. It's on par with Estee Lauder's Double Wear however it can't be built up without looking cakey. Although one layer is all you'd need.
Longevity: Lasts all day incredibly well. It still looks as flawless in the evening as it does when it's first applied.
Finish: In the middle of dewy and matte. It's not dead matte but it doesn't leave the skin looking dewy either.
Formula: I originally thought it'd be a nightmare to apply but I find it very easy to blend and apply.
Overall: 10/10. I can't fault it.
Would I recommend it? Yes, definitely. It's the high street version of Estee Lauder's Double Wear.

Coverage: Full but it can't be built up without looking cakey.
Longevity: Lasts throughout the day. It doesn't budge.
Finish: Very mattifying.
Formula: This foundation is hard to blend and I'm left with streaks.
Overall: It's a shame that this foundation is hard to blend because the coverage for me is perfect.
Would I recommend it? No. It's too hard to blend. It's a nightmare to work with.

Also just a quick warning that I'm now in my final two weeks of my degree (scary!) so sadly, I won't be blogging much because I'm guessing it's going to be hectic. I will try my hardest as I love a good break from work, but I can't guarantee it. Just thought I'd give you a little heads up. Oh and wish me luck, I think I need it!

What's your favourite high street foundation? Any recommendations?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________