Wednesday 11 September 2013

LIFESTYLE | The 90's tag

My Emma Bunton doll - RIP

My sister and I with our cousin

Me and my sister with our grandad

Me and my grandad

Me and my sister

Me, my cousin and my sister with our grandparents


Ever since I saw the 90's tag, I've wanted to do it. I'm a big 90's kid, a huge fan of the decade and I absolutely loved my childhood so reminiscing on it sounds like a wonderful thing to do. I've seen this tag an awful lot on YouTube but not so much on blogs sadly however, I decided to "bring it into the blogging world." If you've previously done this tag or you're going to, please leave a link below in the comments so we can reminisce together.
  
Favourite Disney film?
Surprisingly, this is a hard question. I absolutely adore Disney and my favourite film now I'm older is definitely Lion King. However, when I was younger I have no idea what I used to watch all the time. So I asked my mum and she said that me and my sister were addicted to Lady and the Tramp, Pocahontas and Mary Poppins, much to her annoyance. Another little story that I should probably tell you is that my sister's favourite Disney film was Pinocchio and she used to have it on video tape. One day, I put it into our fish tank so it obviously broke and she was incredibly upset. Which kinda leads me onto the next question...

Favourite music artist?
The Spice Girls. Without a doubt. I was obsessed. So you can imagine how incredible it was when I got to meet them. I was three years old when they first came out and they were my first ever album. I had it on cassette and I used to listen to it constantly on my purple boom box. There are literally so many videos of me as a child on hotel balcony's and on the beach dancing and singing to the Spice Girls. I was obsessed. I had everything of theirs. The reason that my little Pinocchio story lead me onto this question was because my sister did end up getting her own back on me. I had an Emma Bunton doll (first picture) and she pushed its head down so it had no neck. I was absolutely gutted and I've still never forgiven her! And then of course in 1998, my love transferred to Britney Spears. I was a true pop girl and I still am twenty years later.

Favourite candy/sweeties?
Literally no sweets will ever come close to the original Pic N Mix. One of the shops near our house used to have the best selection ever and my parents would send me and my sister down there with 50p each and we'd come back with 50 mini sweets as they used to be 1p each. Actually incredible. And sometimes we'd lie a little bit and say we had 50p's worth when really we had 55p's worth - such mini thieves!

Favourite game (board game, school game etc)
Me and my sister used to make up our own games. One of our favourite games was to play "hotels" and we'd have this elaborate hotel on our street and we'd show potential guests around our "showroom" which was our parents bedroom - it was so good. We had notebooks filled with booking information and everything. We also LOVED playing banks and Post Offices and every summer we'd become some form of tennis stars when Wimbledon was on. As for board games, Fib Finder was actually the best ever. 

Favourite McDonalds Happy Meal Toy?
Happy Meal toys have most definitely gone downhill. I used to love it when they did the toys for boys and the toys for girls. So the boys Happy Meal would have something like a Hot Wheels car inside of it and the girls one would have a mini Barbie - they were amazing. I also loved the TY Beanie Babies but my favourite ever ones were the big Snoopy dogs. I wasn't a Snoopy fan at all (not as far as I'm aware) but the toys were huge and there were so many different Snoopy dogs to collect from all around the world.

Favourite book?
For Christmas one year, my dad bought me a Jacqueline Wilson book boxset and from that moment on, I was addicted to reading. I literally read all of the books in a couple of weeks - I couldn't put them down. I think I've read every "old school" Jacqueline Wilson book that was out and I absolutely loved her. Ones that I remember when I think of her are: The Diamonds Girls, Cliffhanger, Vicky Angel, Tracy Beaker, Double Act, The Bed and Breakfast Star, Buried Alive and The Girls Collection. But I could literally go on and on and end up naming them all.

Favourite clothing store?
Without a doubt Tammy. Our Tammy store used to be joined onto the back of New Look so my mum would be browsing New Look and me my sister would say: "we're going to Tammy" and we'd spend forever in there picking things that we wanted. My favourite clothing trend as a child was skirts over trousers - I absolutely loved that trend and I was so excited when I got some of my own... I don't think I ever took them off. I also remember flares being HUGE and wanting jeans with writing on the back of them like "boys suck, girls rule." So cringy now.

What would you watch when you got home from school?
Disney Channel was definitely big in our house and me and my sister loved That's So Raven and Lizzie McGuire, of course. But we also used to love watching Dexters Laboratory on Cartoon Network. My absolute favourite shows though were the ones that were on CITV such as Get Your Own Back and 50/50. Get Your Own Back was amazing and it was when children "got their own back" on their parents. Their reasons used to be ridiculous like "my dad smells" or "my mum doesn't let me stay up past seven on a school night." I used to dream about taking my parents on there.

Are you a 90's kid? What was your favourite thing about the decade?