Thursday 11 December 2014

Life is a journey, and not a destination


Life is a journey, and not a destination. While I hate cliches, this is one that's really struck a cord with me recently. When I was younger I used to think when I hit certain milestones in my life, I'd have reached a destination and that would be that. But as I've matured, started experiencing more and generally just stopped being so naive I've realised that it couldn't be further from the truth.

Education
I remember when I was applying for university and I thought, 'once I've got my degree then I'll be sorted, know everything and be 100 per cent ready for work', but since I've attained my qualification and started working in the media I've realised that was very naive of me to think. I've learnt a lot in the five months I've been at the Post and I know that I still have an awful long way to go. In fact, I doubt I'll ever know everything there is to know about journalism. The media is changing, and the way the public consume media is changing. As someone who has grown up in the digital era it's fascinating to see.

Happiness
This blog post really just prove how naive I've been - and this one is probably the worst. I touched upon this issue in my 1989 tag where I mentioned that I used to think that once I'd found happiness, it'd remain forever. I've realised that now when you're going through a rough patch, it's a part of life. And that is something I've really come to appreciate. We're lucky to be advanced enough to be able to experience such a variety of emotions and feelings, and although sadness, anger and heartache are awful to deal with, they shouldn't be taken for granted. The hard times have made me stronger and I'm forever thankful for them.

Love
I'm the biggest advocate of love. I think it's such a beautiful thing. And there was a time when I thought I'd met the man of my dreams (looking back now I realise how stupid I was). I've spoken about my experience a lot on my blog because I know it's something many people go through and I think speaking about these things helps. But I don't want to dwell on it too much. The past is the past and although it makes you who you are today, some things should be left there. Five months down the line and I know why certain things have happened, especially when it comes to my love life. And although I'm not thankful for the way he went about it, I'm glad it's now over because I realise I deserve better. I'm sure I'll experience heartache many more times (let's hope not though) but in the end I know it'll be worth it and it'll work out for the best.

Let me know your thoughts on this blog post below. I'd love to hear if we share any of the same opinions.
_________________________________________________________________________________ Twitter|Facebook|BlogLovin|Instagram