Friday 27 June 2014

Life after university...


My favourite blogs to read are the ones with a bit of personality behind them. I love getting to know the person who writes the blog, and although I mainly read blogs to find out about beauty products, a few personal lifestyle posts never did anyone any harm. So that's what this post is going to be. A bit more personal, a little bit sad but hopefully it'll be relieve me of stress. After all, a blog is an online diary and a way for me to get things off of my chest.

In case you didn't know, I recently finished my final year at university. For the past three years, I've been studying journalism and working hard, whilst maintaining my blog, having a part time job and having a social life. It hasn't been easy, but it's been an incredible journey and I've met some wonderful people on the way. I didn't want university to end, mainly because my friends are now all scattered across the country, but I never imagined that leaving university would be this hard.

This week alone, I've applied for 27 jobs. Since my last assignment was handed in, I've applied for hundreds. Yes, I've had quite a few interviews for some spectacular publications and yes, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few, meaning that I haven't actually received a no from them yet. But there is nothing harder than finding a job after university. You work your butt off for three years to be told that a degree isn't good enough. A degree simply puts you on a level playing field these days, whereas back in the day, it'd put you ahead of the competition.

Rejections are hard enough, but what's harder is sitting by my phone, constantly checking my emails and waiting for someone to give me a yes. All I want is a chance. And of course, some money. I had to stop my part time job at Boots because it wouldn't have been worth the journey every week. But now I have bills to pay, and no money whatsoever coming in. I'm 21 years old and I'm having to ask my parents for money. I shouldn't have to do that, and kills me. It's something I've always hated doing.

This past week has been exceptionally hard. I've been stressed, bored and waiting. There have been times when I've questioned my life; where it's going and if there's any point to it. Today, I received some good news which cheered me up enough to write this blog post. This post doesn't have much structure to it, or much meaning. It's just a way for me to get a few things off of my chest. If you're currently going through the same thing, then I hope you know that you're certainly not alone. Keep working at it, keep trying hard and something will come along in the end. Hopefully. I have my fingers crossed for both you and I.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________