Sunday 29 January 2012

High Street Foundations

For me personally, foundation is the key to good make up. If you get the base right, the rest should just fall in place naturally. So this might sound 'stuck up' but typically, I stick to high end foundation. Not only because I feel better when wearing one but because it's just easier. You can go to a counter, get tasted for your shade, speak a woman who knows what she's talking about, try out samples and walk away feeling confident. But when it comes to high street (or drug store) foundations, you can't do that. You have to test the foundation yourself and there's certainly no way you can try out a sample - unless it's one of those tiny ones in a magazine that comes in the wrong shade! For these reasons mainly, I don't have a lot of high street foundations. In fact, I have just three.
I have Maybelline's Dream Satin Liquid which as mentioned here is a foundation that I have a love/hate relationship with. Some days, it looks incredible but other days, it looks a mess. Some days, the colour match is perfect but other days, it's orange. Another high street foundation I have is Lush's Colour Supplement. I actually received this as a free sample from Lush a while ago (I think it was with a coupon in a magazine). I'm not too sure about this foundation. I think the limited colour range means that it looks orange on and sometimes, it goes cakey. But it's sometimes decent enough to be used as a concealer so I keep it in my collection. And finally, I have Sleek's New Skin Revive*. Yet another one that surprisingly, I'm unsure about. I can't figure out the coverage. I think it's light/medium coverage but it isn't buildable and if you try to build it up, it goes cakey on the skin. But the good thing about this foundation is that it's easy to blend and work with and definitely refreshes the skin. 

So what is this post about? Because so far it seems as though I'm just complaining about these foundations. But I'm not. I was just wondering what your favourite high street foundation is and whether or not you prefer spending that bit extra on high end foundations? I'm looking for a new foundation to just wear every day for my lectures; one that has a good colour range and medium coverage. If you know the perfect high street foundation that fits that bill, let me know!
xxx